Friday 28 February 2014

Vegan ginger spice cookies

I find I am stumbling across more and more vegan blogs as I look for lactose/dairy free recipes. I have no issue with eating eggs but I am happy to make entirely vegan recipes, its fun to try new things, and besides which I can bake for vegan friends when they visit.

These little ginger cookies are delicious, if I were to make them again I would flatten them more before baking just so that the texture was less cake like in the centre. I may also make them with treacle or half treacle, half golden syrup just for a variation in flavour.



Ginger spice cookies

makes ~ 12

1 tsp egg replacer (found easily at Holland and Barret)
50g golden syrup
50g dairy free spread
50g light brown sugar
110g spelt flour
25g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 balls stem ginger, finely chopped

caster/granulated sugar for rolling

Preheat the oven to 170C/150C FAN and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. At the last minute I realised I had run out, a greased tray worked just fine too.

Mix the egg replacer with a couple of tablespoons of water. Beat the egg replacer, golden syrup, dairy free spread and sugar together until smooth and combined. Add the the rest of the ingredients, except the stem ginger, and beat until nearly combined. Finally stir in the stem ginger until evenly distributed. 

Dived the dough into 12, roll into balls then in caster or granulated sugar. 

Place onto the prepare baking sheet and flatten with your hand. 

Bake for 12 minutes till golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment