Saturday 8 December 2012

Mincemeat

I am confused, I should like mince pies. I like pastry, I like dried fruit, I like spices.  And yet the mystery remains, I do not like them.

I have decided to investigate this. I suspect that it may be that I was given mediocre shop bought ones and this has put me off. I haven't tried one in years.

I am going to make my own home-made mincemeat and then make my own mince pies. I have to put some thought into what pastry to use but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it, I have time, my mincemeat will need a little while to mature.

I had a look round at various recipes and below is my interpretation using what I like.

Mincemeat

small bramley apple
130g raisins
130g sultanas
40g stoned dates, chopped
50g almonds, chopped
150g suet
250g brown sugar
tsp mixed spice
tsp cinnamon
fresh grating of nutmeg
Zest and juice of a small lemon
Zest and juice of half an orange
50ml brandy

Put the raisins, sultanas, dates, almonds, suet, sugar and spices into a bowl and mix. Peel and grate the apple then add this to the bowl along with the citrus juice and brandy, Give the whole thing a good mix.

Leave overnight, giving a good stir every now and then. By morning it will be slightly darker and lovely and sticky.

 Pack into sterile jars and leave to mature for two weeks and then its good to go!
Odds and sods jars collected through the year!
I know I say leave for two weeks but I will be making a trial run of mince pies next weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment