Thursday 30 May 2013

Snickers cupcakes

I have to admit that I am a recent covert to the amazingness that is a snickers. This is largely in part to my recent liking of nuts.

Making cupcakes for work I knew I wanted a chocolate-y one, its just what went with the chocolate. That is when I decided to take the snickers and make it into a cupcake. Now I know for a fact that the idea of a snickers cupcake is not original but I came up with this mish mash myself, though like I said there are probably hundreds of similar variations out there.

For this cake you will need your favourite chocolate cupcake recipe. Chocolate cupcake recipes vary a lot and everyone has their favourite way of making them. Make them and let them cool.

You will also need a caramel, you do not need much, a couple of heaped tablespoons at most. I confess to, in this instance, using it from a jar. Some salted peanuts. I also confess to not weighing these. I simply chopped up enough so that once stirred into the caramel there was a good peanut to caramel ratio.

You will also need to make the buttercream. I was just going to make peanut buttercream. Then, whilst looking at other baking books I thought about whoopee pie filling. That marshmallow fluff gives a sort of nougat-y quality so I decided to add that in. It works a dream, it is my current favourite frosting (this changes regularly, it has to be said).

Frosting for 12 cupcakes

50g butter
50g smooth peanut butter
250g icing sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
125g marshmallow fluff. 

Beat the butter and peanut butter together. Add in the icing sugar and milk and beat until very light and fluffy, this can easily take 5 minutes. Finally add in the marshmallow fluff and beat to combine. 

To assemble the cakes, core the middle of each cake and add a good heaped teaspoon of your peanut caramel mix. Replace the cone, trimming to fit as necessary. 

Pipe the frosting on top, if you have no piping bag simply swirl onto of the cakes. 

I decorated the top with a sprinkling of chopped salted peanuts and a slice of snickers.

These cupcakes were frankly amazing. I am a little sad that I gave the majority to work and more are being made soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment