Thursday 16 May 2013

Triple chocolate brownies

I know, another brownie recipe, I love brownies though and am always striving to find that perfect one, you know, the fudgy chewy one with the delicately crisp top?

As if a brownie were not indulgent enough I do enjoy pimping them, as it were, with cookie dough, chocolate bars, biscuits etc. These are a slightly more normal variety, the triple chocolate.

Its a recipe I have just slightly adapted from John Whaite's book. He uses different ratios of ingredients to some of my other brownie recipes, I wondered how this would affect taste and texture. Some of you may remember the apple sauce in a previous post? If that did not put you off how do you fare with the unusual ingredients in this recipe... mayonnaise  Yes that's right, the sandwich/chip condiment. John maintains that it keeps the brownies chewy. I am willing to give it a go.

I like my brownies deeply chocolate-y so have used all dark chocolate in the batter, John uses a mix of dark and milk. I have reduced the cocoa powder slightly. I have also added some coffee into the batter, not a lot, but coffee really brings out the depth of chocolate. I have also reduced the sugar very marginally, not enough to affect texture but hopefully to stop the brownies being too sweet.

Triple chocolate brownies

180g dark chocolate
125g butter
1 heaped tsp instant coffee
2 eggs
tsp vanilla paste/extract
3 tbsps mayo
125g light brown sugar
75g caster sugar
180g plain flour
2 tbsps cocoa
70ml milk
50g milk chocolate, chopped into chunks
50g white chocolate, chopped into chunks

Grease and line a brownie pan with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160C/140C FAN. 

Place the butter and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of barely simmering water. Allow the butter and chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally  When melted remove from the heat and stir in the coffee. allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla and mayonaise and beat in with a wood spoon until the mix is smooth and glossy. 

Add the sugars and stir to combine. Add the flour. cocoa powder and milk and stir until no streaks of flour are vissible. Finally mix through the chopped chocolate chunks. 

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a sptaula. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Once removed from the oven allow the brownie to cool in the tin for at least an hour, this will make it much easier to remove. Using the baking paper remove the brownie from the tin, cut into brownie sized chunks and allow to cool fully on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container. 

I am an idiot. I completely lost track of time and these brownies baked for at least 5-7 minutes longer than they should. Therefore the taste is amazing, deep and intensely chocolatey but the texture is wrong. The are too cakey and not fudgey enough and this is, I think, purely my own fault.

I will be making a second batch for work, I am sure they will not complain, as a test, and hopefully I will be able to update this post with good news!



0 comments:

Post a Comment